Can Chamomile Tea Cause Diarrhea?
Chamomile tea has many beneficial properties, but can it cause diarrhea? While some people have reported that drinking chamomile tea can cause diarrhea, research suggests that it might be due to how the tea is prepared, rather than any inner compounds of chamomile tea.
Possible Causes of Chamomile Tea-related Diarrhea
- Caffeine: Drinking too much caffeinated chamomile tea may cause diarrhea. Try cutting down on the amount of caffeine you consume, or try switching to decaf chamomile tea.
- Adding Sugar and Milk: Adding too much sugar or milk to your chamomile tea can also cause diarrhea. To avoid this, cut back on the amount of sugar and milk you use when preparing the tea.
- Medication Interactions: If you’re taking any medications, they may interact with chamomile tea, which can lead to diarrhea. Consult your doctor or pharmacist before drinking chamomile tea.
Chamomile Tea Benefits
Chamomile tea is known for its many health benefits, some of which include:
- Anti-inflammatory: Chamomile tea has anti-inflammatory properties, which can help reduce swelling and pain in your body.
- Antimicrobial: Chamomile tea can help fight off bacteria and viruses, helping to prevent illness.
- Relaxation: Chamomile tea is known for its calming and relaxing effects, which can help with anxiety and insomnia.
Overall, it appears that chamomile tea is unlikely to cause diarrhea. However, it is still important to be aware of potential side effects and interactions between chamomile tea and medications. Talk to your doctor if you have any concerns before drinking chamomile tea.