Can I Drink Chamomile Tea While On Antidepressants?
Many people with depression and anxiety turn to chamomile tea for its calming and relaxing properties. But can it be consumed safely while on antidepressants?
Chamomile tea is thought to offer the following benefits:
- Sedative effects that can help alleviate symptoms of anxiety and insomnia
- Anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce pain and discomfort
- Antioxidant capabilities that may help protect the body from free radical damage
Interactions With Antidepressants
Chamomile tea can interact with certain types of antidepressants. The most common interaction is with MAOIs (Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitors). Drinking chamomile tea while taking these types of antidepressants can lead to an increase in serotonin levels, which can have serious side effects.
When To Avoid Tea
Medical professionals generally advise avoiding chamomile tea if you’re taking MAOIs. You should also avoid drinking chamomile tea if you are taking:
- SSRIs (Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors), as it could increase serotonin levels in the brain
- Tricyclic Antidepressants, as chamomile tea can make these drugs less effective
Talk To Your Doctor
It’s best to talk to your doctor before consuming chamomile tea while taking any kind of antidepressant. They will be able to give you the best advice on whether it’s safe to consume chamomile tea while taking your medications.
If your doctor gives you the green light to drink chamomile tea, make sure you stick to the recommended daily intake to avoid any potential interactions.