Can pregnant women have Chai Tea?
Chai tea is very rich in flavor, aromatically pleasing and can be enjoyed either hot or cold. Pregnant women are often in search of delicious recipes that are both healthy and safe for consumption during pregnancy. So can a pregnant woman have Chai Tea?
Generally speaking, Chai Tea is safe for pregnant women to consume in moderation.
Benefits of Chai Tea
During pregnancy, Chai Tea can offer the following benefits:
- Nausea relief – Ginger and cinnamon components in Chai Tea help reduce nausea and morning sickness
- Healthy caffeine intake – Caffeine intake during pregnancy should be limited to 200mg per day. Chai tea has a low amount of caffeine that won’t exceed the recommended intake
- Rich in antioxidants – Chai Tea is rich in antioxidants, which helps combat free radicals that can harm the unborn baby.
- Improved blood circulation – Nutrients in Chai Tea helps enhance blood circulation, reducing the risk of complications during pregnancy.
Potential Side Effects
Chai Tea is thought to be safe to consume during pregnancy, but there are a few potential side effects that pregnant women should be aware of:
- There have been reports of allergies to some components in Chai Tea
- Chai Tea could increase the risk of heartburn
- Excessive consumption of caffeine can cause preterm labour
- High quantities of Chai Tea could lead to dehydration
In conclusion, Chai Tea is generally considered safe for pregnant women to consume in moderation. It’s important to remember to limit the intake of caffeine, and consult with a medical professional for advice.