can you eat tea tree oil

can you eat tea tree oil

Can You Eat Tea Tree Oil?

Tea tree oil has been used for centuries to help with a variety of ailments, but can you eat it? It is a volatile essential oil, distilled from the leaves and twigs of the native Australian tea tree plant. Let’s explore some of the potential risks and benefits of consuming tea tree oil.

Potential Benefits of Eating Tea Tree Oil

Tea tree oil contains a number of compounds that have potential benefits if consumed:

  • Antimicrobial Activity: Tea tree oil has been shown to possess antimicrobial activity and can help kill off bacteria, fungi, and viruses.
  • Antioxidant Activity: Tea tree oil contains compounds that may help protect against oxidative damage caused by free radicals.
  • Anti-Inflammatory Activity: Some studies have found that tea tree oil may help reduce inflammation, thus possibly helping to reduce symptoms related to pain, swelling and stiffness.
  • Immune System Support: Tea tree oil has compounds that may help boost the body’s natural immune system.

Potential Risks of Eating Tea Tree Oil

Although tea tree oil can offer potential benefits to your health, it can also cause serious side effects if consumed in large quantities. These include:

  • Gastrointestinal Issues: Large quantities of tea tree oil can irritate the mouth and stomach, leading to nausea and vomiting.
  • Allergic Reactions: Allergic reactions to tea tree oil can range from mild skin irritation to anaphylactic shock.
  • Fertility Problems: Ingesting high doses of tea tree oil can cause fertility problems, in both men and women.
  • Toxicity: It is important to note that ingesting large amounts of tea tree oil can be poisonous and can lead to serious health consequences.


Although tea tree oil has a number of potential benefits if consumed, it is not recommended to eat or drink tea tree oil unless under the supervision of a health professional. Even then, it is important to dilute tea tree oil with a carrier oil before ingesting, as it can potentially be poisonous if consumed in large amounts.


More Blog