Can You Have Sweet Tea While Pregnant?
Pregnancy is a rollercoaster ride of many different cravings and desires. Many women experience food cravings that they have never had before, making it hard to dictate what she should and should not eat while expecting. Along with those cravings, comes the question of whether it is safe to consume sweet tea while pregnant.
Benefits of Drinking Sweet Tea While Pregnant
The good news is that drinking sweet tea while pregnant is safe and may have some benefits. For example:
- Boosts Your Mood: Sweet tea has a calming effect that can help boost your mood when pregnant.
- High in Antioxidants: Sweet tea is high in antioxidants that can help reduce inflammation and promote a healthy pregnancy.
- Relieves Nausea: Sweet tea’s calming effect can also help to relieve nausea during pregnancy.
Things to Consider When Drinking Sweet Tea While Pregnant
Although drinking sweet tea while pregnant may be safe, there are a few factors to consider before indulging:
- Amount of Added Sugar: Tart drinks like sweet tea often contain a lot of added sugar, so you should pay attention to how much you are consuming. Make sure to read the nutrition label and try to consume it in moderation.
- Artificial Sweeteners: If you’re buying pre-made sweet tea, you should make sure it doesn’t contain any artificial sweeteners. Artificial sweeteners, such as aspartame, saccharin, or sucralose, can be harmful to pregnant women, so it’s best to stay away from them.
- Tea Brand: Choosing a high-quality tea that’s organic and free from additives is important when drinking sweet tea while pregnant. Try to buy loose-leaf tea or tea bags that are labeled as “caffeine-free” or “low caffeine”.
Overall, drinking sweet tea while pregnant is generally safe, as long as you take into consideration the amount of sugar and types of artificial sweeteners used. Make sure to always consult your doctor or dietitian to ensure that your diet is safe and healthy during your pregnancy.