What is Bubble Tea?
Bubble tea, also called boba tea, is an Asian drink originating from Taiwan in the early 1980s. It is made with a tea base, either green tea or black tea, combined with flavored syrup, milk and chewy tapioca “bubbles” known as boba.
How Bubble Tea is Made
To make bubble tea, start with the tea base:
1. Measure out loose-leaf green or black tea, or use pre-made tea bags.
2. Boil water, steep the tea in the water, and let cool.
3. While the tea cools, prepare the flavored syrup. This can be a combination of fruit syrups like mango or strawberry, or dairy syrups like coconut or taro.
4. Boil boba, also known as tapioca “pearls.” These are typically mades of tapioca starch and brown sugar.
5. Cook until soft, drain and rinse with cold water.
6. To assemble the bubble tea, blend green or black tea with syrup, milk of your choice and add the cooked boba.
7. Stir to combine and serve.
Serving Bubble Tea
Bubble tea can be served hot or cold. If desired, the tea can be poured into a tall glass over crushed ice for a refreshing summer beverage.
- Passion fruit jelly
- Lychee jelly
- Grass jelly cubes
- Coconut jelly
To add a visual flair and some more flavour to the bubble tea, you can add any of these toppings to the top of your drink.
Enjoy your Bubble Tea!
Bubble tea is a fun and delicious drink that can be enjoyed by adults and children alike. Whether you’re a fan of green tea, black tea, taro, coconut, or whatever flavor combination you come up with, bubble tea is sure to be an interesting and tasty treat.