What is Compost Tea?
Compost tea is a liquid fertilizer made from compost material which is steeped in water that can be used to improve soil health and fertility. Compost tea has many beneficial uses, including adding to the nutrition of soil, suppressing diseases, and helping control pests.
How to Make Compost Tea
Making compost tea is an easy way to benefit your garden and is simple to make.
- compost materials
- mesh bag or burlap sack
- 5-gallon bucket
- Add 3-4 inches of compost material to the mesh bag or burlap sack.
- Place the bag into the 5-gallon bucket.
- Fill the bucket with water and let sit for 24-48 hours.
- After the compost tea has steeped, remove the compost bag and discard.
- The compost tea is now ready to use! It can be applied to soil or plants directly, or added as an amendment.
Benefits of Compost Tea
Using compost tea in your garden is a great way to add organic material back into the soil, as well as beneficial microbial activity. Compost tea can improve soil structure, suppress diseases, and provide nutrients to the soil and plants.
Compost tea can also reduce the need for chemical fertilizers and help create a healthier and more resilient garden. Compost tea helps soil retain moisture, creates an environment for beneficial insects and organisms, and is a great source of nutrients for your plants.
Compost tea is an easy and effective way to improve soil health and boost plant growth. By following the instructions above, you can make your own compost tea to add valuable nutrients and microbial activity to the soil. Compost tea is an affordable, eco-friendly solution to adding beneficial material back into the garden.