How Many Calories are in a Boba Tea?
Boba tea, also known as bubble tea, has become an increasingly popular drink across the world. Boba tea is a type of tea-based drink which includes tapioca balls, or ‘boba’, and may come with various additions such as milk, fruit, and syrup.
It is important to know about the calorie content in boba tea so that you can make an educated decision about when and how often to consume the drink. The amount of calories in a boba tea depends on the type, size and the ingredients used.
Calories in a Typical Boba Tea
On average, a 16-ounce cup of boba tea can contain anywhere between 180-400 calories, depending on the ingredients used. Usually, a cup of boba tea consists of:
- Brewed tea: 10 calories
- Sugar: 60-75 calories
- Creamer/milk: 80-130 calories
- Tapioca balls: 160 calories
If you add fruit and other toppings into your boba tea, the calorie content will change significantly.
Flavour-Specific Boba Tea Calories
Most bubble tea flavours have similar calorie values. Here are some examples of the calorie content in different types of boba tea:
- Taro Bubble Tea: 340 calories with one scoop of boba and two scoops of taro powder
- Honeydew Bubble Tea: 300 calories with one scoop of boba and two scoops of honeydew powder
- Matcha Bubble Tea: 260 calories with one scoop of boba and two scoops of matcha powder
- Thai Bubble Tea: 310 calories with one scoop of boba and two scoops of Thai tea powder
- Strawberry Bubble Tea: 370 calories with one scoop of boba and two scoops of strawberry powder
If you are counting your calories or trying to manage your weight, it is best to carefully consider the ingredients used in your boba tea to ensure that you abide by your daily calorie allowance.