Calories in Green Tea: The Benefits & Risks
Green tea is a popular beverage with many health benefits. from promoting weight loss to improving brain function and more, people have been drinking green tea for centuries. But how many calories are in green tea? Let’s explore the health benefits and risks of green tea as well as how many calories it contains.
Benefits of Green Tea
There are many benefits to drinking green tea. Some of the most popular include:
- Weight Loss: Green tea is known to be a great beverage for aiding in weight loss. It contains catechins, powerful antioxidants known to promote weight loss and found to have anti-obesity effects.
- Brain Health: Studies show that green tea can improve brain function and prevent age-related memory loss and mood disorders. It is thought to work by increasing levels of antioxidants in the brain.
- Reduced Risk of Heart Disease: The catechins and other antioxidants in green tea are known to reduce the risk of heart disease. Studies have shown that green tea can reduce levels of LDL cholesterol, the “bad” cholesterol, which lowers the risk of heart disease.
Risks of Green Tea
While green tea does offer many health benefits, there are some potential risks associated with drinking it. Here are some of the most common risks:
- Caffeine: Green tea contains caffeine, which can lead to an increase in blood pressure, irritability, and insomnia, among other possible side effects.
- Stomach Discomfort: Green tea can cause an upset stomach, bloating, and other gastrointestinal problems. If you experience any of these symptoms, it’s best to discontinue drinking green tea.
- Dehydration: If you consume excessive amounts of green tea, it can lead to dehydration. Be sure to drink plenty of water in addition to your green tea to keep your body hydrated.
How Many Calories in Green Tea?
Green tea is a low-calorie beverage. A cup of green tea contains only about 2-4 calories. This makes green tea a great choice for those looking to lose weight or maintain a healthy weight.
In conclusion, the health benefits of green tea outweigh the risks. You can enjoy a cup of green tea without worrying about adding too many calories to your day, as it contains only a small number of calories.