Calories in Tea with Milk
Tea is an immensely popular beverage all over the world, and its health benefits have been well-documented over the years. However, when milk is added to tea, it can contribute calories which can make it an unhealthy choice.
When preparing tea with milk it’s important to note the following nutritional information:
- 1 cup of tea with 1 teaspoon of honey: about 50 calories
- 1 cup of tea with 1 teaspoon of sugar: about 40 calories
- 1 cup of tea with cream: about 36 calories
- 1 cup of tea with 1 tablespoon of milk: about 12 calories
- 1 cup of tea with 2 tablespoons of milk: about 24 calories
- 1 cup of tea with sugar and 2 tablespoons of milk: about 40 calories
Sugar and Sweeteners
When adding sugar or a sweetener to tea, it’s important to remember that the calories can add up quickly. For example, one teaspoon of sugar contains 16 calories, honey has 21 calories per teaspoon, and artificial sweeteners can have up to 10 calories per teaspoon.
When it comes to calories, tea on its own is virtually calorie-free. However, when you add milk, sugar, or sweeteners to it, the calories can quickly add up. To reduce the amount of calories in your cup of tea, it’s best to use either skim or almond milk, or limit your sweetener to 1 teaspoon.