How Much Caffeine is in Iced Tea?
Are you wondering how much caffeine is hiding in your favorite iced tea? Iced tea and caffeinated drinks, in general, have the potential to make us feel both energized and alert. But, it’s always important to be mindful of the amount of caffeine we intake.
What’s the Average Caffeine Content in Iced Tea?
The amount of caffeine that can be found in iced tea varies wildly. Here’s an overview of some key benchmarks:
- Black Tea: 25-48 mg per 8 oz.
- Green Tea: 25-29 mg per 8 oz.
- Herbal Tea: 0 mg per 8 oz.
- Brewed Iced Tea: 12-36 mg per 8 oz.
Does Caffeine Content Change With Sweetening?
It all depends on what you’re using to sweeten your iced tea. Some slight modifications to the caffeine content can be made by changing the type of sweetener, such as sugar, honey, syrups, or artificial sweeteners like Equal and Splenda. Most commonly, people prefer to use sweetened tea mixes to make their iced tea ‘just right.’ These mixes typically contain 19 mg of caffeine per 8 ounces.
Total Caffeine Intake
The key to being sensible and responsible is to take into account your total caffeine intake for the day. Generally, 400 mg of caffeine is the recommended daily limit for adults. While Iced tea can be a delicious way to stay refreshed and alert— just remember to enjoy it in moderation!
- Black Tea 25-48 mg per 8 oz.
- Green Tea 25-29 mg per 8 oz.
- Herbal Tea 0 mg per 8 oz.
- Brewed Iced Tea 12-36 mg per 8 oz.
- Sweetened Tea Mix 19 mg per 8 oz.
- Total Caffeine Intake: 400 mg daily limit for adults