How Much Pennyroyal Tea is Toxic?
Pennyroyal tea is derived from an herb of the same name. It has been used for centuries as an herbal remedy with some rather serious risks.
Pennyroyal tea is used to treat minor ailments such as indigestion and colds. It is also used to menstruate and stimulate menstrual flow.
Risks and Toxicity
Consuming too much pennyroyal tea can be dangerous. Some of the effects of taking too much pennyroyal tea include:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Gastrointestinal distress
- Liver problems
Consuming even a small amount of pennyroyal tea may be dangerous for pregnant women or those with liver or kidney problems.
How Much is Too Much?
The toxicity of pennyroyal tea is dose-dependent, meaning the amount consumed will determine how toxic the tea is. Generally speaking, drinking more than 4 cups of pennyroyal tea per day is considered to be dangerous. Consuming any amount of pennyroyal tea without your doctor’s supervision is not recommended.