how much pennyroyal tea is toxic

how much pennyroyal tea is toxic

How Much Pennyroyal Tea is Toxic?

Pennyroyal tea has long been used as a digestive aid, to aid in weight loss, and to induce abortion and menstrual flow. While pennyroyal tea has tremendous benefits, it can also be toxic if taken in large doses.


Pennyroyal tea should generally not exceed 1.75-3.5 grams of dried herb per cup of tea. Taking more than that can have serious side effects, including poisoning and even death.

Symptoms and Treatment of Pennyroyal Poisoning

Symptoms of pennyroyal poisoning include:

  • Headaches
  • Vomiting
  • Irregular heartbeat
  • Severe abdominal pain
  • Liver damage
  • Loss of consciousness

If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, seek medical attention immediately. Treatment of pennyroyal poisoning generally consists of decontamination, such as inducing vomiting or performing a gastric lavage, as well as supportive care such as IV fluids to prevent dehydration.


Penny royal tea should not be taken more than 1-3 grams per cup of tea. It is also important to note that it should not be taken by pregnant women, as it can lead to miscarriage due to its abortifacient properties. Additionally, those who have a history of liver disease should not drink pennyroyal tea as it can worsen the condition.

It is also important to purchase pennyroyal tea from a reliable source to make sure that it is of high quality and is not contaminated with any other substances.

Pennyroyal tea has many benefits, but it can be toxic if taken in high doses. It is important to follow the recommended dosage and talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns.


More Blog