How Much Pennyroyal Tea is Toxic?
Pennyroyal tea is an herbal tea made from an aromatic herb called pennyroyal. The tea has been used for centuries as a natural medicine, but it can also be toxic when taken in high doses. It’s important to be aware of the potential risks associated with pennyroyal tea.
What is Pennyroyal Tea?
Pennyroyal tea is made from the dried leaves and flowers of the pennyroyal plant. It’s a popular herbal tea that has been used for centuries to treat a variety of ailments, such as fevers, colds, headaches, and stomach problems.
How Much is Toxic?
Pennyroyal tea is considered toxic when taken in large doses, as it can cause liver damage or even death. According to the National Institutes of Health, the lethal dose of pennyroyal oil is 2.2 mg/kg (1.4-4.0 mg/kg for mint oil). This means that for a person weighing 150-pounds, the lethal dose is about 4 to 8 tablespoons of pennyroyal tea.
Risks of Consuming Too Much Pennyroyal Tea
Consuming too much pennyroyal tea can lead to serious health risks, such as:
- Liver damage: Pennyroyal tea is toxic to the liver and can lead to damage if taken in high doses.
- Nausea and vomiting: Consuming too much pennyroyal tea can cause nausea and vomiting.
- Diarrhea: Pennyroyal tea can cause diarrhea in large amounts.
- Dizziness: Consumption of pennyroyal tea in large doses can lead to dizziness.
- Rapid Heart Rate: Consuming too much pennyroyal tea can also cause an increased heart rate.
Pennyroyal tea is an aromatic herbal tea that has been used for centuries to treat a variety of ailments. Although it can be beneficial in smaller doses, it can also be toxic when taken in large amounts. It is important to be aware of the potential risks associated with pennyroyal tea and to speak to your healthcare professional before consuming it.