How to Dilute Tea Tree Oil for Piercings
Tea tree oil has natural antiseptic and antibacterial properties, making it a great choice for cleaning new piercings. But it’s important to dilute the tea tree oil with water or another carrier oil, like coconut or almond oil as it can be harsh on skin. Here’s how to dilute tea tree oil for piercings:
Steps for Diluting Tea Tree Oil
- Mix the tea tree oil. Start by adding a couple drops of tea tree oil to a glass or ceramic bowl or cup. If you are using a carrier oil, add an equal ratio of oil to the bowl.
- Mix with water. Add distilled, purified, or filtered water to the cup or bowl, stirring to mix the tea tree oil and water or carrier oil together.
- Check the mixture. The correct ratio is 1 part tea tree oil to 9 parts of water or carrier oil. Make sure your mixture is correct before moving on to the next step.
- Apply the mixture. Using a clean cotton ball, Q-tip, or other applicator, gently dab the mixture onto the piercing once or twice a day.
Tips for Diluting Tea Tree Oil
- Test the mixture first. It’s important to always test the mixture on a small area of the skin before applying it directly to the piercing to make sure that it doesn’t cause any irritation.
- Avoid contact lenses. Do not use tea tree oil or diluted tea tree oil on contact lenses.
- Notify your professional piercer. If you’re having any problems with healing or have questions about cleaning your piercing, be sure to notify your professional piercer.
Tea tree oil can be a great natural choice for cleaning new piercings. But it’s always important to dilute it with water or another carrier oil before use and to proceed with caution when applying the mixture to your skin. By following these steps and tips, you can safely use tea tree oil to keep your piercing clean and help it heal properly.