How To Drink Oolong Tea
Oolong tea is a traditional tea that offers a wide variety of health benefits and is a great way for tea-lovers to explore a variety of flavors. Drinking oolong tea correctly is important to ensure that you get the most out of it. To do that, here are a few steps to follow when drinking oolong tea:
1. Determine the Variety and Amount of Tea Leaves Needed
Different varieties and styles of oolong tea will require different amounts of tea leaves to get the full flavor of the tea. Experiment with a few different varieties to find the one that you like best. As a general rule, use one teaspoon of leaves for every 8 ounces of water.
2. Heat and Steep the Tea Leaves
Oolong tea needs to be brewed with water that is just below boiling (around 85 to 90 degrees Celsius) and steeped for about 3-5 minutes, depending on the strength of flavor you prefer. You can also adjust the flavor by playing with the amount of tea leaves and the steeping time.
3. Enjoy Your Tea!
Once you’ve brewed your tea and tasted it, it’s time to enjoy! There is no single right way to enjoy oolong tea; some might prefer it with just a dash of sugar, some might like to add milk or cream, and some might enjoy it plain.
Tips for Drinking Oolong Tea
- Keep Reusing Leaves: If you use quality leaves, they can be reused up to five times. Simply add fresh hot water and increase the steeping time by 10-20 seconds each time you re-steep.
- Don’t Oversteep: Oversteeping oolong tea can make it taste bitter, so make sure to pay attention to the brewing time and never let it steep for more than 5 minutes.
- Enjoy the Aroma: Take a few moments to stop and smell the tea — the aroma of a quality oolong tea is one of its most integral properties.
Following these simple steps and tips will help you enjoy oolong tea to its fullest potential. Oolong tea is a great way to explore a variety of flavors, as well as to enjoy the many health benefits it provides. So take your time, relax, and enjoy every sip.