How to dry Leaves for Tea
Making tea out of freshly dried leaves is a unique and flavorful experience. If you have access to fresh tea leaves, here is your guide to drying them correctly and making a delicious cup of tea in no time!
Step 1: Collecting Fresh Leaves
Head to your local tea shop or pick your own leaves in the forest. Select leaves which are young, vibrant and green. Make sure they are not wilted or turning brown as this will negatively impact the flavor.
Step 2: Washing the Leaves with Water
Once you have collected the leaves, rinse them in clean water and let them soak for a few moments. This will help to remove any dirt, dust or other contaminants.
Step 3: Spread the Leaves Out
Spread out the leaves on a flat surface such as a baking tray. Make sure to spread them out as much as possible so that the leaves can dry evenly.
Step 4: Begin the Drying Process
You can either set the leaves out in the sun, or use a dehydrator. If you choose to set out in the sun, make sure to monitor the leaves every few hours and turn them over. The drying process should take between 2-5 days depending on the breeziness, sun and the type of leaf.
Step 5: Grinding the Leaves
Once the leaves are completely dry, remove them from the tray and begin to grind them into a fine powder.
Step 6: Storing the Leaves
Store the leaves in an airtight container and store in a cool, dark place. You may also consider freezing the leaves to extend their shelf life.
Tips for Drying Leaves for Tea
- Choose vibrant, young leaves: Make sure to select leaves which are fresh and not wilted.
- Rinse leaves in clean water: Clean the leaves with water before beginning the drying process.
- Spread out leaves evenly: Make sure to spread them across a flat surface to ensure even drying.
- Monitor the leaves: Check the leaves every few hours and rotate them to make sure they are drying evenly.
- Grind the leaves: Once the leaves are completely dry, grind them up into a fine powder.
- Store correctly: Store the leaves in an airtight container in a cool, dark place or freeze them.
Making tea out of dried leaves is a unique and flavorful experience. With the help of this guide, you’ll be able to make a delicious cup of tea in no time!