How to Make Authentic Indian Masala Chai
Masala chai is one of India’s most beloved tea drinks. This hot, spiced beverage is incredibly easy to make and takes only a few minutes to prepare. It makes a perfect morning or late night pick-me-up that is both tasty and comforting. Follow this simple guide to making the perfect cup of authentic Indian masala chai!
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons black tea such as Assam tea
- 1 tablespoon or more of the following Indian spices (ground or crushed):
- Ginger powder
- Cardamom powder
- Black pepper
- 2-3 teaspoons sugar or sweetener of your choice
- 1 cup Milk
- Bring the water to a boil in a small pot.
- Add the black tea leaves and all the desired spices.
- Lower the heat, stir and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add the sugar or sweetener and stir until dissolved.
- Pour the tea into cups and add the milk.
- Stir and enjoy your authentic Indian masala chai!
- You can also use fresh ginger, cardamom and cinnamon if desired.
- Try out different combinations of spices to find your preferred flavor.
- You can also use non-dairy milk for a vegan version.
- Serve the tea hot or chill it for a refreshing cold drink.