How to Make Authentic Indian Masala Chai
- 4 cups of water
- 2 teaspoons of black loose-leaf tea
- 2 tablespoons of freshly grated ginger root
- 4-6 cardamom pods
- 6-8 black peppercorns
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2-3 cloves
- ¼–1/3 cup of sweetener (sugar, honey, or jaggery)
- ½ cup of full cream or 2.5% milk
- Bring 4 cups of water to a boil in a large pot.
- Add 2 teaspoons of black loose-leaf tea.
- Add 2 tablespoons of freshly grated ginger root, 4-6 cardamom pods, 6-8 black peppercorns, 2 cinnamon sticks, and 2-3 cloves.
- Cover and let the tea and spices simmer on low heat for 10-15 minutes.
- Add ¼ to 1/3 cup of sweetener (sugar, honey or jaggery).
- Simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Add ½ cup of full-cream or 2.5% milk and bring it to a boil.
- Remove the pot from the stove and strain it into cups.
- Enjoy your Authentic Indian Masala Chai!
Note: Feel free to experiment with the spices and sweetness to create your own unique Masala Chai blend.