How to make Authentic Indian Masala Chai
Indian Masala Chai is a flavorful, spiced tea that is light, fragrant and quite savory. Indian tea or Chai, is prepared differently in each region -but the traditional Masala Chai is prepared by mixing various spices. Here is how you can make Masala Chai:
- 2-3 cups of water
- 3 teaspoons of black tea leaves/powder
- 1 teaspoon of powdered ginger
- 1 teaspoon of cardamom powder
- 2 cloves
- 1 piece of cinnamon stick
- 2 black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon of sugar/jaggery, optional
- 1 cup of Milk
- Add water to a saucepan, and bring it to boil.
- Add all the spices except the sugar and stir it well. Cover the saucepan with a lid and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Uncover, add the tea and the sugar or jaggery, and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Strain the Chai with a strainer to filter out the spices and the tea leaves. The liquid you have left in the pan is your Masala Chai.
- Heat the milk in a separate pan and add it to the Masala Chai. Simmer for 2 minutes.
- Pour the Masala Chai in cups and serve it hot or cold.
And there you have it! Enjoy your delicious cup of Indian Masala Chai!