How to Make Authentic Indian Masala Chai
Masala chai is a beloved Indian beverage made with a combination of spices, milk, and black tea. Making this tea can be quite simple and is sure to take your taste buds to a far away land.
- Black tea leaves or 2-3 tea bags, as desired.
- 1 cup water.
- 1/2 cup milk.
- 2 teaspoons sugar, or as desired.
- 5-6 whole clove.
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, thinly sliced.
- 4-5 whole black pepper.
- 2-3 green cardamom.
- 1-2 black cardamom.
- 1 cinnamon stick.
- Boil water in a medium saucepan.
- Add all the spices and let the spices boil for a few minutes.
- Add tea leaves or tea bags to the pan and let it steep for 3-4 minutes.
- Lower the heat and add milk to the pan.
- Let the milk and tea come to a gentle simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add sugar and stir to combine.
- Turn off the heat and strain the tea into a cup or teapot.
- Serve hot and enjoy your masala chai!
- Feel free to adjust the spices and sugar as per your liking.
- You can also add other spices such as bay leaves, nutmeg, or mace if desired.
- You can also use honey as a substitute for sugar.