How to make Authentic Indian Masala Chai
Indian masala chai is a spiced black tea beverage that is popular throughout India. Indian masala chai is a complex combination of spices, tea and milk that produces a unique flavour and aroma. Here is a guide to help you prepare your own authentic Indian masala chai.
- 1 cup of water
- ¼ teaspoon of ginger
- 1 stick of cinnamon
- 2 cloves
- 2 green cardamom pods
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 teaspoon of black tea leaves
- 2 teaspoons of sugar or honey, to taste (optional)
- Bring the water to a boil in a pot.
- Add the ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and cardamom pods to the boiling water.
- Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the milk and bring to a boil, stirring regularly.
- Add the tea leaves and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Strain the chai into a cup or teapot.
- Add sugar or honey (optional).
- Serve hot.
- Adjust the amount of spices to your own preference.
- Add other spices such as star anise, black peppercorns, or fennel seeds to the masala mixture.
- Try using different teas such as oolong, green or white to change the flavour of your chai.
- Add a splash of coconut milk or almond milk to the chai for extra flavour.
Indian masala chai is a delicious and unique beverage that can be enjoyed at any time of day. With this guide, you can now easily prepare your own authentic Indian masala chai. Enjoy!