How to Make Authentic Indian Masala Chai
There’s nothing like a cup of delicious Indian masala chai to start your day or end a meal. This comfort drink is spicy, creamy, fragrant, and full of flavor. Plus, it’s easy to make! Here’s a guide to make the perfect Indian masala chai.
- 2 cups water
- 2 cardamom pods
- 1 clove
- 1 inch piece of cinnamon
- 2 tsp grated ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 3-4 tablespoons honey or sugar (depending on desired sweetness)
- 2 cups of milk
- 2-3 teaspoons of loose leaf black tea
- In a small saucepan, heat 2 cups of water over medium-high heat.
- Add cardamom pods, clove, cinnamon, ginger and black pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add honey or sugar and stir until dissolved.
- Add milk and bring to a boil again.
- Once boiling, add 2-3 teaspoons of loose-leaf black tea. Stir and turn heat to low.
- Simmer for 2 minutes, then turn off heat.
- Strain the mixture and serve hot.
And there you have it! Now, you know how to make a delicious cup of authentic Indian masala chai. Enjoy!