How to Make Authentic Indian Masala Chai
Indian masala chai is an aromatic, spiced tea that is perfect for warming up on a chilly day. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to make chai that tastes like it just came from an Indian restaurant.
- 2 cups of water
- 2 cardamom pods
- 2 cloves
- 4 black peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons of black tea
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger root
- 1 cup of milk
- 2 teaspoons of sugar, honey or maple syrup (optional)
- Crush the cardamom pods, cloves, and peppercorns in a mortar and pestle.
- In a saucepan, add the water, crushed spices, black tea, and cinnamon stick. Boil for 3-5 minutes.
- Grind the ginger root in the mortar and pestle and add it to the saucepan.
- Reduce the heat to low and stir in the milk. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the optional sweetener and stir.
- Strain the tea into cups and enjoy your homemade masala chai!
Tip: You can vary the amount of spices in your chai depending on how bold of a flavor you want. Enjoy experimenting with the recipe to create your own unique taste!