How to Make Authentic Indian Masala Chai
- 2 cups of water
- 2 tablespoons of black tea of your choice (preferably Assam or Darjeeling)
- 5-7 whole green cardamoms, lightly crushed
- 2 small cinnamon sticks
- 4-5 cloves
- 1 small piece of fresh ginger, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- 2-3 tablespoons of organic sugar (or to taste)
- 2 cups of organic whole milk
- In a saucepan, bring the water to a boil.
- Add in the tea, crushed cardamoms, cinnamon sticks, cloves, grated ginger and freshly ground pepper.
- Let the tea boil for 2-3 minutes.
- Lower the heat and add in the sugar and milk.
- Simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Strain the tea into a teacup.
- Enjoy your homemade and authentic Masala Chai.
Tips and Variations
- You can adjust the amount of spices, sugar and milk to your own personal preference.
- Adding a few strands of saffron can give the tea a lovely aroma and flavor.
- For a vegan version of this tea, use almond or oat milk instead of dairy milk.