How to Make Authentic Indian Masala Chai
Masala chai is an aromatic and spiced Indian tea that has become a global favorite. It’s a great-tasting beverage that warms you up and comforts your soul. Here’s how you can make your own authentic Indian Masala Chai:
- Black tea: 2–3 teaspoons of loose leaf tea or 2 tea bags.
- Milk of choice: Any type of milk can be used.
- Spices: A combination of ground ginger, cinnamon, cardamom, pepper, cloves and nutmeg.
- Sweetener: Sugar or honey to taste.
- Bring 1 cup of water to a boil in a saucepan.
- Add the black tea and the spices, and reduce the heat to a low simmer.
- Simmer for about 5 minutes, then add the milk and return to a simmer.
- Simmer for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat, strain and add sweetener to taste.
- Pour into cups and enjoy!
Masala chai has a complex flavor, so feel free to experiment with different spices and amounts until you find the perfect combination for you. Whether you make it with cow’s milk, almond milk, or a nondairy milk alternative, this delicious tea is sure to be a hit with family and friends!