How to Make Authentic Indian Masala Chai
Indian masala chai is a spiced tea beverage that has become popular all over the world. Making this beverage yourself is quite simple and allows you to adjust the flavors and spices to your preference. Here’s how to make your own authentic Indian masala chai.
- 2 tablespoons black tea (loose-leaf or tea bags)
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons white sugar or jaggery or honey (depending upon your preference)
- 2-3 green cardamoms
- 1/2 inch cinnamon stick
- 3 cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground ginger
- In a pot over medium to high heat, bring the water, milk, and sugar to a boil.
- Add the tea, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, pepper, and ginger to the pot. Reduce the heat, cover the pot and simmer for about 8 minutes.
- Strain the chai into cups using a fine strainer and enjoy warm.
Indian masala chai can be made with a variety of different spices and levels of sweetness. Experiment with different combinations until you find a flavor that you love. Enjoy your authentic Indian masala chai!