How to make Authentic Indian Masala Chai
Masala chai is a popular Indian beverage that combines tea, spices, and milk. Generations of Indian tea drinkers have been preparing this hot and flavorful drink for centuries. Learn how to make your own authentic masala chai and enjoy it at home.
- Whole milk (one cup)
- Black tea leaves (one teaspoon)
- Ginger (a small piece)
- Cardamom pods (two to three)
- Cloves (three to four)
- Cinnamon sticks (two)
- Black peppercorns (two to three)
- Honey or sugar (to taste, optional)
- Bring one cup of whole milk to a boil in a saucepan.
- Grind ginger, cardamom pods, cloves, and cinnamon sticks in a mortar and pestle or an electric grinder.
- Add the ground spices to the milk.
- Put one teaspoon of tea leaves in the milk.
- Allow the tea to steep for five minutes.
- Strain the tea into cups and serve with honey or sugar to taste (optional).
And there you have it! Homemade, authentic masala chai. Enjoy your spicy tea and experience the flavor of India!