How to make Authentic Indian Masala Chai
Indian masala chai has become the signature beverage found in almost every corner of India. It’s a delicious tea blend with a unique blend of spices that make it totally irresistible. Here’s how to make your own authentic masala chai at home:
1. Gather the ingredients
- 1-2 teaspoons of loose black tea leaves
- 1 1/2 cups of cold water, or enough to fill your pan
- 2-3 whole cloves
- 2-3 whole green cardamom pods, cracked open to release the seeds
- 1 small piece of cinnamon bark
- 1-2 teaspoons of fresh grated ginger
- 2-3 tablespoons of sugar or honey (adjust to taste)
- 1 cup of hot milk (optional)
2. Bring the water to a boil
Put the water in a pan and bring it to a boil over medium-high heat. Once boiling, reduce the heat and add the tea leaves and spices. Simmer for 5 minutes.
3. Add the sweetener and milk
Stir in the sweetener and then slowly add the hot milk. Simmer for a few minutes more to allow all the flavors to infuse into the tea. Remove from the heat.
4. Strain and enjoy
Once the tea has steeped and cooled slightly, strain it into a cup or pot. Enjoy your delicious authentic Indian masala chai.