How to Make Authentic Indian Masala Chai
For many people, there is nothing more comforting than a cup of masala chai, a fragrant spiced tea concoction that is popular in many parts of India and South Asia. Here is a guide to making an authentic chai of your own.
- Tea leaves – 2-3 teaspoons of tea leaves
- Milk – 2 cups of cold or warm milk
- Water – 2 cups of water
- Spices – a combination of cardamom, cloves, cinnamon and ginger (1 teaspoon each). You can also add other spices such as nutmeg, black pepper and/or a little black tea.
- Sweetener – sugar or honey to taste
- In a pot, mix the tea leaves, milk, water and spices.
- Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat, stirring frequently.
- Once it comes to a boil, reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Strain the tea into cups, add sweetener to taste, and enjoy your masala chai!
That’s all there is to it for making an authentic cup of Indian masala chai. With just a few ingredients and a few minutes of your time, you can make a cup of this delicious and comforting beverage. So give it a try and enjoy!