How to Make an Authentic Indian Masala Chai
Making an authentic masala chai is a relatively easy and delicious way to bring the taste and aromas of India in to your own home. Masala chai is basically a lightly spiced milk tea popular in India and a few other south and south-east Asian countries. Here are the few easy steps and ingredients you will need to make an authentic, delicious cup of Indian masala chai.
- 2 cups milk
- 2 to 3 teaspoons of black tea leaves or 2 tea bags
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground ginger
- 2 cloves
- A one inch stick of cinnamon
- A pinch of cardamom
- 4–6 tablespoons of sugar
- Bring the milk to a boil. Add the tea leaves or bags (depending on your choice).
- Allow the tea to simmer for four to five minutes.
- Add the ground ginger, cloves, cinnamon and cardamom and let it simmer for a few more minutes.
- Add the sugar and stir.
- Allow the chai to simmer for a few more minutes until it reaches the desired consistency.
- Once it’s ready, serve your freshly prepared masala chai in cups.
And there you have it! A delicious cup of authentic Indian masala chai. Enjoy the exotic aromas, warming spices and milky sweetness!