Health Benefits of Fig Leaf Tea
Fig leaves contain polyphenolic compounds that can make it beneficial to human health. Consuming fig leaf tea comes with powerful antioxidant properties, helping to protect cells from oxidative damage. Studies suggest that fig leaves can treat diabetes, lower cholesterol, and help in weight loss.
How to Make Fig Leaf Tea
Making fig leaf tea is easy and provides various health benefits.
You will need:
- 2 tablespoons of fig leaves (fresh or dried)
- 1 cup of boiling water
- Honey or sugar, to taste (optional)
- Gently rinse the fig leaves and dry them.
- Put the fig leaves in a teapot or cup.
- Pour boiling water over the fig leaves.
- Allow the tea to steep for 10–15 minutes.
- Strain the tea and discard the fig leaves.
- Add honey or sugar, if desired.
- Enjoy your fig leaf tea.
Side Effects and Precautions
Fig leaf tea may cause side effects, especially in large doses. Drinking too much fig leaf tea can lead to intestinal discomfort, and it may interfere with certain medications. It can also lead to problems with blood sugar, so it may not be suitable for people with diabetes. Pregnant and breastfeeding women should avoid drinking fig leaf tea, as not enough research has been done to determine its safety. Speak with your doctor before drinking fig leaf tea.