How to Make Ginger Tea from the Root
Ginger tea is a very popular and tasty beverage that can help calm an upset stomach, ease a sore throat, and even reduce inflammation. Although you can buy ginger tea in a tea bag or ready-made, there’s nothing quite like the flavor of freshly-made ginger tea from the root. Here’s how to do it:
Gather Your Ingredients
You’ll need these ingredients for ginger tea:
- Fresh ginger root, about 2-3 tablespoons
- Boiling water, about 2 cups
- Optional sweeteners (honey, sugar, agave nectar, etc.)
- Optional lime, lemon, or other fruit juice
Preparing the Ginger Root
- Choose a fresh ginger root that looks firm and has a bit of shine to the skin.
- Gently peel the root with a vegetable peeler, or scrape it off with a spoon if the skin is very thin.
- Using the back of a spoon, lightly smash the ginger or slice it into small pieces.
- Add the ginger to a teapot.
Making the Tea
- Pour the boiling water over the ginger.
- Place the lid on the teapot and let it steep for 3-5 minutes.
- Strain out the ginger chunks by pouring the tea through a sieve.
- Add your desired sweetener and/or citrus juices and stir.
Making ginger tea from the root is easy and makes for the perfect winter warmer for a cold day. It’s simple to prepare and the flavor is unbeatable. Give it a try and enjoy the many health benefits!