How to Make Pennyroyal Tea
Pennyroyal tea is a herbal tea that is made with the leaves of the pennyroyal plant. The pennyroyal plant is an herbaceous plant native to Europe and North Africa and is part of the mint family.
Pennyroyal tea has a variety of possible health benefits which include: reducing fevers and relieving muscle aches and cramps; reducing digestive discomfort; and increasing circulation.
- Pennyroyal Leaves – 1 teaspoon of dried pennyroyal leaves, or a small handful of fresh leaves.
- Honey – 2 tablespoons of honey.
- Lemon – 2 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- Water – 8 ounces of boiling water.
- Place the pennyroyal leaves in a cup.
- Add the honey and lemon juice to the cup and stir until completely combined.
- Pour the boiling water over the top and stir again.
- Let the tea steep for 10 minutes.
- Strain the tea into a separate cup and enjoy.
For best results, it is recommended to drink pennyroyal tea twice a day. When tasting the tea, the flavor may be quite strong, so adding more honey or lemon juice to the tea can help to mask some of the bitterness.
It is important to note that pennyroyal tea should not be consumed by pregnant women, as it can cause uterine contractions which can lead to increased risk of miscarriage or early labor. In addition, the leaves of the pennyroyal plant have been known to have toxic effects in large doses, so it is important to drink pennyroyal tea in moderation.