How to Make Russian Tea Cakes
Russian tea cakes, also known as Mexican wedding cakes, are a traditional Christmas cookie popular in many countries. They are simple to make and require only a few basic ingredients. Here’s how to whip up a batch of this festive dessert:
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 6 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup finely ground walnuts
- Extra powdered sugar, for rolling
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter, 6 tablespoons powdered sugar, and vanilla until light and fluffy. Stir in the flour and walnuts until the dough comes together.
- Roll dough into 1-inch balls and place on the prepared baking sheets. Bake for 15-18 minutes, until lightly browned and set.
- Allow cookies to cool for 5 minutes and roll in the remaining powdered sugar. Transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Russian tea cakes can be enjoyed as-is, or you can get creative by dusting them with cocoa powder or adding a drizzle of melted chocolate. Whichever variation you choose, these tasty treats will be sure to please your guests. Enjoy!