How to Make Tea Cake
Tea cakes are a delicious treat and relatively easy to make. They’re perfect for a special celebration, or just as an enjoyable afternoon snack. Follow these simple steps to make your own delicious tea cake.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 350° degrees. Grease and flour a 9×5 inch loaf pan.
- Combine the dry ingredients: In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Cream the butter and sugar: In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar with an electric mixer.
- Add the eggs and vanilla: Beat in the eggs and the vanilla.
- Mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients: Alternately add the dry ingredients and the buttermilk to the wet ingredients. Beat until everything is just combined. Be careful not to over mix, or you’ll have a tough tea cake.
- Bake: Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 55-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool and enjoy! Let the tea cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn it out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Slice and enjoy!
And that’s it! Enjoy your homemade tea cake with a cup of tea or coffee.