How to Make Tea Eggs
Tea eggs are a delicious and versatile Chinese snack that can be served hot or cold. They’re easy to make and make a great addition to your next meal. Follow these steps to make your own tea eggs at home.
- 6 eggs
- 2 tablespoons of loose black tea leaves, or two tea bags
- Optional: 5 cloves
- Optional: 1 cinnamon stick
- Optional: 2 star anise
- Optional: 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- Bring seven cups of water and the eggs to a boil in a large pot. Boil for 8 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and carefully remove the eggs. Carefully crack the shells using a spoon or the back of a knife. Do not crack too much or the eggs will be too dry.
- Place the eggs back into the pot, add the tea leaves (or tea bags), and other optional ingredients, if desired. Cover and bring the mixture back to a boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Carefully remove the eggs from the pot and place them in cold water to cool.
- Serve the tea eggs hot or cold, or refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Making tea eggs is a great way to add flavor and texture to any meal. Enjoy your delicious and unique tea eggs!