How to Make Thai Tea at Home
Thai tea is a fragrant, creamy, and sweet beverage that is popular in Southeast Asian countries such as Thailand. Its unique flavor is the result of combining strong, slightly bitter black tea with creamy sweetened condensed milk and spices like star anise, cardamom and vanilla. Here is an easy-to-follow guide on how to make Thai tea at home.
- 1 teaspoon loose-leaf black tea, preferably Thai-style full-bodied tea
- 1 cup of just-boiled water
- ¼ cup of condensed milk
- A pinch of star anise, cardamom, and/or other spices (optional)
- Measure 1 teaspoon of loose-leaf black tea and place it into a teapot or cup.
- Pour in 1 cup of freshly boiled water and steep the tea for 4-5 minutes.
- Strain the tea and discard the leaves, save the liquid.
- Add ¼ cup of condensed milk, or to taste, and stir.
- Optional: add a pinch of star anise, cardamom, or other spices and stir again.
- Your Thai tea is now ready to be served.
Thai tea is a delicious beverage that is great as an after-dinner drink, an accompaniment to a light snack, or a pick-me-up any time of day. Enjoy your homemade Thai tea!