How to make Worm Casting Tea
Worm castings tea, often referred to as compost tea, is an organic tea used to fertilize plants and gardens. Making a worm casting tea is a simple process that can be done with readily available materials such as water, worm castings and aeration. In this article, we outline the steps needed to make your own worm casting tea.
Steps to Make Worm Casting Tea
- Gather Your Materials: You will need water, either distilled or spring water, worm castings, and an aeration device such as an aquarium bubbler.
- Prepare the Castings: Place 1 to 2 handfuls of worm castings into a container of water. Stir the castings in the water and then allow them to sit for 24 hours.
- Add Aeration: After 24 hours, add the aeration device to the container and allow it to aerate the mixture for an additional 24 hours.
- Harvest the Brew: After the aeration period is finished, harvest the worm castings tea, discarding the castings, and use it as a liquid fertilizer.
Benefits of Worm Casting Tea
Worm casting tea contains beneficial bacteria and fungi that can help improve the soil structure, increase nutrient uptake and improve root growth in plants. Additionally, worm castings tea can be used to water indoor or outdoor plants, as well as to fertilize vegetable gardens. Worm castings tea can also be sprayed on leaves and stems to help protect them from disease.
Tips for Making Worm Casting Tea
- Worm castings tea is best used immediately. If needed, however, it can be stored in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Avoid using tap water if possible, as it may contain chlorine or other chemicals that can be harmful to the beneficial organisms in the tea.
- Be sure to aerate the tea for the entire recommended amount of time.
- The strength of the tea itself should be used as a guide as to how much to use when watering plants.
Making your own worm casting tea is an easy, inexpensive way to fertilize your plants and gardens. By following the steps outlined in this article, you can have your own organic fertilizer in no time.