How to Store Tea Bags
Having a cup of tea can be one of life’s simple pleasures – as long as it’s still in good condition. The key to keeping your tea bags fresh and flavorful is to store them properly. Here are some tips for storing your tea bags:
Choosing a Container
When selecting a good container for your tea bags, look for something that:
- Is airtight. This will keep moisture and humidity out and help prevent oxidation.
- Has a wide mouth. This makes it easier to retrieve the bags without damaging them.
- Is made of opaque material. Glass and ceramic containers are not ideal because light can cause the flavoring to fade. Look for containers that are airtight and made of opaque metals or plastics.
Where to Store
Look for a place in your kitchen that:
- Has a consistent temperature. Extreme heat or cold can cause the taste to change or deteriorate.
- Is away from direct sources of heat. Coffee makers, ovens, and microwaves can weaken the flavor of tea.
- Is away from direct sources of light. Sunlight can cause the flavors to fade.
Once you open a package of tea bags, store the remainder in an airtight container as soon as possible. Be sure to squeeze all the air out after each use to minimize oxidation. If a package of tea bags contains multiple flavors, it is best to store each flavor separately in a separate container.
By following these tips, you can ensure that your tea remains fresh and flavorful. Enjoy!