How to Study for TEAS
Are you planning to take the TEAS (Test of Essential Academic Skills)? It’s important to know the right strategy to ensure success and get the best score possible. Here is a comprehensive guide on how to study for TEAS.
1. Learn about the Exam
The first step to effectively study for the TEAS is to get familiar with the exam and its structure. The TEAS has four subtests: Reading, Math, Science and English and Language Usage. Researching the content covered by each section, exam principles and format, and types and number of questions, will enable you to effectively develop a study plan to optimize your results.
2. Identify What You Know
When you’re creating a study plan, you need to know the material you need to cover and areas that you need to revise. Take a diagnostic test, or a practice exam, to determine the material that you already know, and the sections that require more attention and focus.
3. Make a Study Schedule
When preparing for a test, it’s important to stick to a schedule and study in a systematic way. Make a schedule that is manageable and realistic, and allocate enough time for each test module that is commensurate with your strengths and weaknesses. Start studying for the test several weeks in advance, rather than cramming, to maximize the test results.
4. Learn from the Best
Take the time to review material from authoritative sources, such as official study guides, online resources, and practice tests. Use the following study aids:
- Official Study Guide: The ATI study guide contains sample questions, an overview of the exam structure, and detailed test-taking advice.
- Textbooks and Practice Tests: Reviewing textbooks and practice tests that cover the test material can help you become familiar with the types of questions asked.
- Online Review Resources: There are many online resources with test content and practice questions.
- Classes: Consider taking a class to give you additional practice for the test.
5. Prepare Mentally and Physically
Adequate sleep and exercise are critical for proper preparation for any exam. Make sure to get enough sleep prior to the test, and eat a well-balanced breakfast on the test day. Stress can reduce cognitive performance, so practice relaxation techniques, such as affirmations and meditation to help you stay calm and focused.
By following these tips, you will gain the knowledge and confidence that you need to help optimize your performance on the TEAS.