How to Treat Toenail Fungus with Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is a natural antifungal remedy that can be used to treat toenail fungus. Often referred to as Melaleuca oil, tea tree oil is made from the leaves of the Melaleuca alternifolia tree which is native to Australia.
How Does Tea Tree Oil Work?
Tea tree oil is used as an alternative treatment for toenail fungus because of its antifungal, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties. It can help to treat many forms of fungi, including candida and athlete’s foot.
How to Use Tea Tree Oil For Toenail Fungus
Using tea tree oil to treat toenail fungus is a simple, natural solution which can be done in a few steps. Here’s how to do it:
- Mix the oil with a Carrier Oil: Tea tree oil is highly concentrated and should never be used directly on the skin. You’ll need to mix it with a carrier oil such as almond oil, jojoba oil or coconut oil before you use it. Mix 1-2 drops of tea tree oil with ½ teaspoon of the carrier oil.
- Apply the Oil: Once you have the oil mixed, apply it directly to the affected toenail with a cotton swab. Gently massage the oil into the skin and nails, making sure that the oil reaches beneath the toenail where the fungi often hide.
- Wash Away the Fungus: After applying the oil, you can either leave it on the toenail or you can use a warm, wet washcloth and gently scrub the toenail. This will help to get rid of any remaining fungi.
- Repeat Daily: To ensure that the fungus is gone, you’ll need to repeat this process every day for several weeks. Do this until the fungus has completely gone.
Other Tips for Treating Toenail Fungus with Tea Tree Oil
- Be sure to keep your feet clean and dry. Fungi loves warm and damp environments, so make sure to keep your feet and toenails as dry as possible.
- Change your socks and shoes often. During the treatment process, make sure to change your socks and shoes every day in order to prevent the fungi from coming back.
- Be sure to use a diluted tea tree oil. Tea tree oil is highly concentrated and could irritate your skin if used directly. Be sure to always mix it with a carrier oil.
- Be patient. Toenail fungus is stubborn and can take some time to clear up. Stick to the treatment plan for several weeks to ensure that the fungus is completely gone.
Using tea tree oil to treat toenail fungus is a safe, natural way to get rid of the fungus. Just be sure to dilute the oil and repeat the process every day for several weeks in order to ensure that the fungus is gone.