Chamomile Tea and Pregnancy
Chamomile tea has long been valued for its relaxing and calming properties, but is it safe to drink during pregnancy? In general, the answer is yes, though you should speak with your doctor before drinking it while pregnant.
Benefits of Chamomile Tea
Chamomile tea is believed to provide several benefits during pregnancy, including:
- Improve sleep – many pregnant women experience trouble sleeping, and chamomile tea is known to help improve sleep quality.
- Decrease stress – due to its calming effects, chamomile tea can help reduce stress levels in pregnant women.
- Decrease symptoms of morning sickness – some studies suggest that drinking chamomile tea can help reduce common stomach issues like morning sickness.
- Reduce inflammation – chamomile tea contains anti-inflammatory properties which may help ease any swelling or other inflammation during pregnancy.
What to Keep in Mind
Though chamomile tea has many benefits in pregnancy, there are also a few things to be aware of:
- Allergies – chamomile comes from the daisy family, so if you are allergic to ragweed, chrysanthemums, marigolds, or any other daisy-like flowers, you should avoid drinking chamomile tea.
- Caffeine – chamomile tea does contain some caffeine, so make sure you monitor how much you are drinking if you are avoiding caffeine during pregnancy.
- Too much – while it is generally safe to have chamomile tea in moderation, drinking too much of it can be dangerous. Speak to your doctor to determine the safest amount for you.
Overall, it is safe to enjoy chamomile tea during pregnancy as long as you are aware of any allergies or sensitivities you may have and you drink it in moderation. It is always wise to consult your doctor before drinking chamomile tea or any other herbal tea while pregnant.