Is Iced Tea Good for You When You’re Sick?
Sick days can be hard to get through, so finding the right way to feel better quickly is difficult. One of the drinks that many people reach for to help them feel better is iced tea. But is iced tea really good for you when you’re ill?
The Benefits of Iced Tea
Iced tea can be a great drink to have during the day when you’re sick, as it can be beneficial to your health. Some of the benefits of drinking iced tea include:
- Full of Antioxidants: Not only can iced tea help wake you up, it can also provide you with powerful antioxidants to help fight off any cold or illness.
- Hydration: Staying hydrated when you’re sick is essential for recovery. Drinking iced tea can help you stay hydrated and feel better overall.
- Soothing: Drinking something cold and soothing can help you feel more comfortable overall. A cold glass of iced tea can have this calming effect, helping you relax and recover.
The Downsides to Iced Tea
Though iced tea can provide many benefits, it can also come with certain drawbacks. Depending on the type of iced tea you choose, you may experience these issues:
- High in Sugar: Many store-bought iced teas are packed with sugar and other sweeteners that are bad for those who are trying to get over an illness quickly. The sugar could counteract many of the healing properties of the tea.
- Caffeine: Many types of iced tea contain caffeine, which can make it difficult for those who are trying to stay asleep and get better. Caffeine can increase your energy level and keep you up when you need rest more than anything.
The Bottom Line
Whether or not iced tea is good for you when you’re sick depends on the type of iced tea you choose and your individual needs. Try drinking an unsweetened tea and limiting the amount of caffeine to get the most out of your iced tea.