Is Peppermint Tea Good For Cough?
If you’ve ever had a sore throat or rough night of coughing, you know how desperate you can feel for relief. Cough isn’t a serious condition, but it can be quite annoying and bothersome. Thankfully, a cup of peppermint tea can be an effective remedy for a pesky cough.
Benefits of Peppermint Tea
Peppermint tea is one of the most beneficial teas to drink when trying to get rid of a cough. Here are some of the advantages of consuming peppermint tea:
- Contains essential menthol — The menthol in peppermint tea works as an expectorant that helps break up chest congestion and relieve a cough.
- Eases sore throat pain — Peppermint tea has analgesic properties that help reduce swelling and soothe the pain of a sore throat.
- Acts as an inflammation fighter — The menthol present in peppermint tea also has anti-inflammatory properties that can help alleviate the symptoms of a chest cold.
- Contains antioxidants — Peppermint tea is full of antioxidants that can boost your immune system and help fight infection.
How to Use Peppermint Tea for a Cough
If you’d like to try peppermint tea for your cough, there are several easy ways to use it. Here are a few tips:
- Brew a cup of peppermint tea and add some honey and lemon juice for taste. This can help soothe your throat and give you relief from coughing.
- If you don’t have any peppermint leaves, steep a peppermint teabag in hot water instead.
- You can also try making a peppermint tea-infused steam. Fill a large bowl with hot, steamy water and add 4-5 drops of essential peppermint oil for extra relief.
- For a more potent option, try steep a teaspoon of dried peppermint leaves in a cup of hot water for 10 minutes or so. Strain the leaves and sip slowly.
Overall, peppermint tea is a great way to get relief from a persistent cough. Plus, this herbal tea also helps soothe a sore throat and promote breathing. Not to mention, peppermint tea has anti-inflammatory properties and is rich in antioxidants that can help build up your immunity. So next time you experience a pesky cough, reach for a cup of peppermint tea for a soothing remedy.