Is Unsweetened Tea Healthy?
Although there are many benefits associated with drinking tea, many calorie-conscious individuals are opting for unsweetened tea. But what are the benefits of drinking this unsweetened beverage?
Nutritional Benefits of Unsweetened Tea
- Low Calorie Count: Unsweetened tea has no added sugar, which makes it a low-calorie beverage choice.
- High in Antioxidants: Unsweetened tea is a rich source of antioxidants. Regular consumption of antioxidants protects the body from oxidative damage caused by free radicals, which can lead to various health problems.
- Low in Caffeine: Unsweetened tea contains a low amount of caffeine, making it ideal for those who are looking to cut back on their caffeine intake.
- Good Source of Vitamins and Minerals: Unsweetened tea is also a good source of vitamins and minerals, including calcium, magnesium, zinc, and Vitamin C.
What Are the Health Risks?
Although unsweetened tea is generally considered to be healthy, there are some potential risks associated with drinking it. These risks include:
- Dehydration: Unsweetened tea is diuretic, which can lead to dehydration. This is especially true if you are drinking large amounts of tea.
- Stomach Irritation: Unsweetened tea can cause stomach irritation. If you experience frequent stomach upset or discomfort, it may be best to limit your consumption of unsweetened tea.
Overall, unsweetened tea is a healthy beverage choice. It is low in calories and contains a variety of beneficial nutrients. However, it is important to drink unsweetened tea in moderation to avoid any potential health risks.