Masala Tea to Kick-Start Your Day with a ‘Desi’ Twist to Your Daily Beverage
Tea has always been known to be the most convenient and comforting beverage of choice for most people. But often, the daily flavoring of simple tea can become a mundane routine.
Today, let’s give your daily tea an added oomph with a ‘desi’ twist, as we make and enjoy our masala tea.
What is Masala Tea?
Masala tea, also known as ‘spiced tea’, is a Indian take on the traditional tea. It is a traditional tea, infused with flavors of spices, commonly garam masala and cardamoms. This hot beverage is also known for overcoming cold, sore throat, as well as improving digestion.
Here are the ingredients that you will need to make your own Masala Tea:
- 1 teaspoon of freshly crushed ginger
- 2 lightly crushed cardamom pods
- A quarter teaspoon of cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon of black peppercorns, crushed with a mortar and pestle
- Half teaspoon of ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon of Darjeeling tea leaves
- 2 cups of boiling water
- 1 teaspoon, or to taste, of sugar
- ½ cup of full fat milk
- In a pot, add the boiled water and the spices.
- Boil the spices until the aroma of the spices engulfs your kitchen.
- Add the Darjeeling tea leaves to the pot and let it steep for 2 minutes.
- Strain out the spices, if desired.
- Now add the milk and sugar to the tea in the pot.
- Bring it to a boil and stir it.
- Serve your warm Masala Tea in a cup and enjoy the flavor.
Besides being a delicious warmer beverage, Masala Tea packs in considerable amount of health benefits. It contains anti-inflammatory properties, healing properties and anti-oxidants due to the diverse range of spices added to tea. It also helps digestion and reduces headaches.
So why not give your regular cup of tea a delicious desi twist and make yourself a comforting, natural and flavorful cup of Masala Tea today!