Masala Tea to Kick-Start Your Day with a ‘Desi’ Twist to Your Daily Beverage
Tired of having plain ole tea every morning? Try adding an Indian masala twist to your daily beverage and give your mornings a classic desi twist!
What is Masala Tea?
Masala tea is a popular Indian tea that is brewed with herbs and spices, known as ‘masala’, this gives the tea a unique aroma and taste. Every region has a different recipe which gives them their own distinct flavor. The masala typically contains a combination of spices like ginger, cinnamon, black pepper, cloves, green cardamom and nutmeg.
Benefits of Masala Tea
- Rich in antioxidants: Masala tea is filled with antioxidants which help fight off harmful free radicals and keep the body in a healthy state.
- Good for digestion: The ginger in the masala is known to help settle the stomach if it occurs regularly.
- Comforting: The spices and herbs used to make the masala will add a warm, comforting and unique taste to your cup of tea, that’s sure to prep you up for the day.
- Energizing: Caffeine is a stimulant that helps give you an energy boost in the morning, so try a cup of masala tea instead of your cup of coffee.
How to make a simple masala tea
- Start by boiling ⅓ cup of water and add to a saucepan.
- Add ½ teaspoon of the masala of your choice, but commonly used in India are the popular garam masala or Bhapa masala, a mix of ginger, cardamom powder, cinnamon, cumin, black pepper and clove.
- Add ½ teaspoon of tea, preferably black tea like Darjeeling tea or CTC tea. You can also opt for green tea or chamomile tea.
- Add 1 teaspoon of sugar or natural alternatives like honey or maple syrup.
- Boil it all together for 2-3 minutes and pour it in a cup.
- Finally, add milk according to your preference, anywhere between 2-4 teaspoons of milk would be ideal.
Now you’re all set to start your day with an aroma filled cup of masala tea!