Spice Up Your Life with a Cup of Traditional Masala Chai
No matter where you live, the classic and delightful flavor of traditional Masala Chai is a delight that never fails to sow a gentle feeling of warmth throughout the mind, body and soul. This classic beverage is made with robust Indian spices that add a unique, rich flavor and a pleasant warmth that can fill any home. Whether you’re trying to cozy up on a chilly day, or make a special ritual out of your morning cuppa, here are some tips on how to make the most perfect cup of traditional masala chai.
Key Ingredients for a Traditional Cup of Masala Chai
- Loose-Leaf Black Tea
- Whole Spice Mix (often cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, and ginger)
- Milk of your choice
- Honey or sugar; or an alternative sweetener of choice
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil in a large saucepan.
- Add the loose-leaf black tea and the spice mix to taste (2-4 tsp depending on your flavor preference).
- Bring the mixture to a boil, and then reduce the heat to a low simmer and cover the pan.
- Simmer for approximately 10-15 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of milk and the sweetener of your choice.
- Bring the mixture to a gentle simmer and cover the pan.
- Simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- Strain the mixture through a fine-mesh strainer and serve.
Once your cup of masala chai is ready, you are sure to enjoy its robust and warming aroma and flavor. Even if summer comes around, traditional masala chai can add a touch of warmth and spice to your life. Enjoy with a light sweet snack or on its own, and see what magic a cup of traditional masala chai can bring to your life.