What are Tea Cakes?
Tea Cakes are small, bite-sized cookies with a sweet flavor. Originating in England, they have become popular around the world as a snack, dessert or accompaniment to a cup of tea.
Tea Cakes are usually round or oval shaped, and have a light and delicate texture. Commonly they are made with butter, egg, flour, and a variety of sugars, including treacle and icing.
Types of Tea Cakes
Tea Cakes come in many different varieties, each with their own unique flavor and texture. Here are some of the most popular:
- Shortbread Tea Cakes: Made with a buttery dough, these are rich, crumbly and melt-in-your-mouth delicious.
- Marshmallow Tea Cakes: A sweet combination of fluffy marshmallow and a crisp exterior.
- Chocolate Chip Tea Cakes: A classic combination of rich, chocolatey chips and a light, buttery dough.
- Spiced Tea Cakes: A festive tea cake with a hint of spice, usually cloves, cinnamon, or nutmeg.
- Coconut Tea Cakes: These sweet treats are made with shredded coconut, either rolled in the dough or sprinkled on top.
Serving Tea Cakes
Tea Cakes are a classic treat for afternoon tea but can also make a delightful breakfast or dessert. They are often served with a cup of tea or coffee, and can be eaten plain or with a dollop of jam or butter. Tea Cakes can also be served as part of a larger dessert, such as an after-dinner trifle or a holiday cookies platter.
Where to Find Tea Cakes
Tea Cakes can be found at most bakeries, as well as many grocery stores, either in the bakery section or in the packaged cookie aisle. They can also be made at home with a variety of recipes found online.
Enjoy Tea Cakes!
Tea Cakes are a delightful and versatile treat, perfect for enjoying with a cup of tea or coffee, or as part of a larger dessert. So why not enjoy one today?